You know those days where you feel rough, the kids feel rough and you’ve had snot wiped on you goodness knows how many times? Today is a bit like that. I had very little sleep last night as the baby was snuffly and unsettled. My throat feels like I swallowed a load of razor blades and my voice sounds like that of an old hag in a film, the one who sits in a dark corner and croaks out warnings no one listens to. A bit like the kids actually, not listening to me when I inform them the baby doesn’t want someone to fart in his face and that spider that is being put in the propeller of a toy fan is in fact long dead and does not need killing again. Add to this it’s raining outside and the cooker has considerately decided to die, I had to make something comforting. This recipe probably contains about three of your five a day and is quick, easy and comforting. It is full of Vitamin C which is great for your immune system, Lycopene which helps prevent cancer and heart disease and fibre which is great for your digestive system.
You will need:
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- A handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 large carrots
- 4 celery sticks and the celery leaves
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 500mls approx good quality vegetable stock
Here’s how I made it:
- Dice the vegetables and basil leaves and soften in olive oil.
- When slightly softened add the stock, bring to the boil then simmer with the lid on until the carrot is cooked and soft.
- Blitz in a food processor or a stick blender.
- Serve and enjoy. I love mine with cheese on toast and lots of black pepper.