Have you ever set off on a journey, got absolutely everything ready, strapped the kids in, fed the baby up until the last minute, made sure everyone has been to the toilet 8 times even if they didn’t want to go, packed a years supply of food, felt secretly a bit smug that really you are quite organised and actually this whole parenting thing is not nearly as hard as everyone makes out? Then, suddenly, the baby decides to have the biggest meltdown known to man or woman? And you’re driving along at speed, there’s nowhere to stop and the little bundle is screaming his heart out? Well, I have and I did today. I knew he was over tired and hoped he would go to sleep. But he didn’t. But then I had an idea. Listen carefully, one day you may thank me. You may or may not know white noise, ie a hoover, kettle, hairdryer has the magical ability to soothe a baby to sleep. (Obviously providing he or she isn’t hungry, in which case you need to be offering boob or bottle first). I wasn’t driving, so I frantically searched on YouTube and found 8 hours of a hoover playing. My phone connected to the car stereo, the car was filled with the comforting hum of a hoover. Within seconds the cute little eyelids drooped and there was quiet. Why didn’t I ever think of this before?? Anyway, next time you’re desperate, try it.
So anyway we got home and I made this delicious dinner. It really is easy. The chips are Slimming World chips so great for weight loss. Turkey is so good for you, low in fat and high in protein.
- King Edward potatoes
- Fry light Sunflower oil
- Cajun spice
- Turkey steaks, (roughly one per adult, half per child).
- Peri peri seasoning
- Burger buns, (whole meal is healthier)
- Salad eg, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, gherkins, sliced red onion, lettuce
- Preheat your oven to 230•C if fan.
- Peel and chop your potatoes into chips. Boil for about 5 mins until softened.
- Drain potatoes, while in colander spray with Frylight and sprinkle the Cajun seasoning. ( If too spicy for kids just use Chip Seasoning).
- Spray oven tray, (trays in my house there are so many of us,) with Frylight and heat in the oven for a couple of mins. Remove and spread the chips out in a thin layer. Put in the oven for about 30 mins, shaking half way through.
- While the chips are cooking slice your salad and put your turkey steaks in a dish. Spray with the oil and shake some Peri Peri seasoning over them. (For the kids I just season and sprinkle over some dried herbs, crushed garlic and lemon juice).
- Cook the turkey in a griddle on a high heat, turning half way, until cooked through.
- Make up your burger with the buns and serve with your healthy chips and whatever sauces you want.
- I don’t think anyone moaned about this meal. (Either that or I chose to ignore them).
- MC x