Cooking for a family of 8 is um, challenging? Of course I want the kids to be healthy, I also need them to be satisfied. Not to mention the fussiness. Wow, I would eat almost anything you put in front of me but my kids? ‘It’s too tomatoey’, ‘I don’t like this shape of pasta’, ‘I’ve gone off salmon’, ‘It’s too spicy’, ‘Yuk’, ‘This tastes like poo’. Sigh. And I haven’t even mentioned my hubby’s ‘preferences’.
So anyway, I love a meal that’s quick, easy, cheap and as healthy as possible. I made this last night and they all ate it and enjoyed it. The chorizo is naughty, I know that. But there’s so much veg in this you could leave it out and make sure you add a pinch of smoked paprika instead.
- 3 peppers (nice to have one of each colour)
- Chorizo ring
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- Splash red wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Pinch oregano and basil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Slice the chorizo and put in a large saucepan, without any oil. Let it sizzle away for about five minutes.
- While this is cooking, slice your onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
- When the chorizo has a bit of colour, add your vegetables with the herbs and garlic and give it a good stir.
- Add the wine and let it bubble slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- You could do this in the morning then cook spaghetti in the evening when you need it, or just cook the spaghetti while the sauce is simmering.
- Serve with grated cheese.
I would actually prefer this without the chorizo and with some chilli flakes so you could quite easily make it vegetarian.
But I hope you like it. MC x